The round of 24 and the round of 16 of the Mr Price Pro were completed in two-metre swell on July 5th at Willard’s Beach, with the first six of the eight quarter-finalists decided.
A close battle occurred in heat four of the round of 24 as Aritz Aranburu went head-to-head with Thomas Woods.
The title of first place constantly changed throughout the heat, with Aranburu finally taking the lead with a total score of 11.93, just 0.30 separated the two.
Jadson Andre fought with power during heat five against local South African Dylan Lightfoot as he locked in a 9.00 ride combined with a 7.50.
Andre posted a final two-wave score of 16.50 and progressed through to the round of 16.
A major single wave score of the day was posted by Ramzi Boukhiam in heat one of the round of 16.
Boukhiam’s lethal backhand technique impressed the judges and earned a single wave score of a near perfect 9.57 out of a possible 10.
This massive score was backed up with a 7.50 that he had locked in earlier on in the heat, taking out first position and advancing into the quarter-finals.
“This is my first quarter-final result in a Prime, so I’m stoked,” Boukhiam said.
Top seed Jordy Smith also progressed through to the quarter-finals, defeating fellow South African Beyrick de Vries by 5.13 points respectively.
Julian Wilson had a close win over Jadson Andre in heat five as he made use of the final 30 seconds to claim the win by a 4.70 ride.
An upset was caused in heat six as Kolohe Andino struggled to find the right waves to overpower Brazilian David do Carmo.
Do Carmo’s careful wave selection proved a critical strategy as he combined a 7.33 and a 6.87 ride for a two-wave total of 14.20.
The official event organisers decided to call the event off for the day as the conditions gradually became unfavourable.
Round of 24 Results (Round 4):
1. Ramzi Boukhiam 13.50 (MAR) 2. Granger Larsen 12.27 (HAW)
1. Stu Kennedy 12.93 (AUS) 2. Jay Thompson 11.93 (AUS)
1. Beyrick de Vries 12.90 (ZAF) 2. Marlon Lipke 8.06 (PRT)
1. Aritz Aranburu 11.93 (EUK) 2. Thomas Woods 11.63 (AUS)
1. Jadson Andre 16.50 (BRA) 2. Dylan Lightfoot 9.34 (ZAF)
1. David do Carmo 13.26 (BRA) 2. Dion Atkinson 10.50 (AUS)
1. Mitch Crews 12.87 (AUS) 2. Jean de Silva 9.76 (BRA)
1. Mason Ho 15.30 (HAW) 2. Billy Stairmand 14.83 (NZL)
Round of 16 Results (Round 5):
1. Ramzi Boukhiam 17.07 (MAR) 2. Caio Ibelli 12.93 (BRA)
1. Stu Kennedy 14.07 (AUS) 2. Jesse Mendes 12.00 (BRA)
1. Jordy Smith 14.43 (ZAF) 2. Beyrick de Vries 9.30 (ZAF)
1. Aritz Aranburu 15.66 (EUK) 2. Maxime Huscenot 8.40 (FRA)
1. Julian Wilson 11.53 (AUS) 2. Jadson Andre 10.33 (BRA)
1. David do Carmo 14.20 (BRA) 2. Kolohe Andino 5.50 (USA)
Heat seven and eight of the round of 16 are yet to be completed.
Written by Madison Heinze