Are you ready to rumble! Fights set for Mundine and Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has finally put an end to speculation, while Anthony Mundine continues his journey to the US.

 

Anothony Mundine, Photo By Edwina Pickles, Sydney Morining Herald

Anothony Mundine, Photo By Edwina Pickles, Sydney Morining Herald

 

Anthony Mundine will face former World Champion, Joshua Clottey this April at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre.

 

 

Mundine is hoping his next fight against Clottey, former IBF Welterweight World Champion will be the stepping stone he needs to the US.

 

 

Clottey has had an impressive career with wins over Diego Corrales and Zab Judah with only four career losses. Manny Pacquaio and Miguel Cotto amongst the big names he’s lost against.

 

 

Mundine will come into the fight only a few months off his 39th birthday, Australian boxing heroes Jeff Fenech and Kostya Tszyu had their last fights at 31 and 35 years of age, respectively.

 

 

Mundine hopes to get noticed in the US for an eventual fight against Floyd Mayweather, but with the best and most well known fighters in the world all vying for that spot, it seems extremely unlikely that Mundine’s name is even on the list.

 

 

“I’ll take nothing and go over there (to the US). Just give me the TV rights here in Australia,” Mundine said.

 

 

This will be Mundine’s third fight in only five months, having recently defeated Shane Mosley and Gunnar Jackson, he is clearly very serious about fighting some big names and is making extraordinary efforts to pursue his goal though he has ruled out taking on any Australian fighters.

 

 

“You all know I’m on a mission. All the Aussie fighters calling me out, you are not on my radar. If I wanted the money I’d fight Geale or I could fight Green and have the pay days. But I am chasing the dream and that’s forward to fighting a Mayweather or Pacquiao, the very best in the world. The big fights are where my dreams are,” Mundine said.

 

 

Photo By: Gareth Woods/ Getty Images

Photo By: Gareth Woods/ Getty Images

 

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has finally announced his next opponent on the day of his 37th birthday, fellow welterweight titleholder Marcos Maidana.

 

 

The fight will take place on May 3, the venue has yet to be set, but will likely be the MGM Grand where Mayweather has fought his last eight fights.

 

 

This will be the third fight in Mayweather’s $200 million, six fight deal with Showtime.

 

 

Mayweather plans to retire after completing sixth and final fight of the Showtime deal.

 

 

Maidana will be defending his title for the first time and defeated many other fighters vying to be Mayweathers next opponent on the strength of the fight that won him his title against Adrien Broner last year.

 

 

“Marcos Maidana’s last performance immediately brought him to my attention… He is an extremely skilled fighter who brings knockout danger to the ring. I think this is a great fight for me and he deserves the opportunity to see if he can do what 45 others have tried to do before him — beat me,” Mayweather said.

 

 

Mayweather’s last fight against Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez smashed numerous records including the biggest pay-per-view gross in history and biggest live gate; however this fight is unlikely to be as big due to Maidana being a less well known fighter

 

 

“Mayweather is undefeated but with that one punch, Marcos Maidana can certainly change it all for Floyd. Floyd has to fight the perfect fight. Is he capable of doing that? Of course. But can Maidana connect for that one moment? Yes, of course. We saw it in the Broner fight. How is Floyd going to react once he gets hit by Maidana?” Said Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer.

 

 

There has been some controversy over the choice of Maidana after Amir Khan won an internet poll on Mayweather’s website in which he said he would fight the winner.

 

 

“I feel very disappointed for Amir. He is a terrific fighter, I think he has the necessary skill set to beat Floyd Mayweather because of his speed. Amir Khan will have a big fight. There are a lot of exciting opportunities in the 147-pound weight class,” Schaefer said.

 

 

Last Friday Khan sent a series of tweets venting his frustration at being passed over for the fight.

 

 

“No response from Mayweather or his team. Fights not happening. I should of taken the title fight last December against Alexander. Very disrespected by (Mayweather’s) team. Wasted my time. Good luck to Maidana against Mayweather. Can I apologize to the thousands of people who are let down. You me and everyone wanted the Mayweather fight. He’s running scared,” Khan tweeted.

 

 

“I am extremely happy to be facing Floyd Mayweather because it will give me the opportunity to show the world that I am the best welterweight in the division. I just handed a great defensive fighter his first loss and I plan to do the same to Mayweather. I don’t care whether he’s the best and undefeated. I will bring some real Latino power to him on May 3rd,” Maidana said.

 

 

In more Mayweather news, Floyd Mayweather Sr. has told TMZ Sports that his is going to fight the father of one of Mayweather Jrs old opponents, Robert Guerrero.

 

 

“You’re gonna see one of the best fights bro. I’m fighting one of the best fighters in the world,” Guerrero said.

 

 

So far no date has been set for the fight between Floyd Mayweather Sr. and Ruben Guerrero.

 

 

Written by Daniel Whyntie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

*

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

111,977 Spam Comments Blocked so far by Spam Free Wordpress

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>